What Perennials & Shrubs will thrive in shady borders?
Perennials for Shady Borders
There are many perennials that are well-suited to growing in a shady border in the UK. Some popular options include:
1- Hostas – these leafy plants come in a range of shades and textures, and are great for adding interest to a shady border.
2 – Astilbes – these plants produce delicate plumes of flowers in shades of pink, white, and red, and are excellent for adding height and texture to a shady border.
3 – Ferns – there are many different types of ferns that are well-suited to growing in shade, including the maidenhair fern, the ostrich fern, and the Japanese painted fern.
4 – Hellebores – also known as the “Christmas rose,” hellebores produce lovely, cup-shaped flowers in shades of white, pink, and purple.
5 – Pulmonarias – these plants produce charming clusters of flowers in shades of pink, blue, and purple, and are also known for their attractive, spotted foliage.
6 – Brunnera – also known as “Siberian bugloss,” these plants produce sprays of small, light blue flowers in spring, and are also prized for their heart-shaped foliage.
7 – Heucheras – these plants come in a wide range of colours, from deep reds to bright greens, and are excellent for adding pops of colour to a shady border.
These are just a few examples of the many perennials that can thrive in a shady border in the UK. Be sure to choose plants that are suited to your specific growing conditions and climate, and consult with our team now if you need help or a planting design consultation.
Shrubs for Shady Borders
There are many shrubs that can thrive in a shady border in the UK. Here are some popular options:
- Camellia – these evergreen shrubs produce beautiful, showy flowers in shades of pink, red, and white.
- Rhododendron – another evergreen option, these shrubs are prized for their large, colourful flowers.
- Hydrangea – these deciduous shrubs produce large, showy flowers in shades of pink, blue, and white, and can be trained into a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Viburnum – these shrubs produce clusters of fragrant flowers in spring, and often have attractive foliage and colourful berries as well.
- Fuchsia – these shrubs are prized for their delicate, pendulous flowers, which come in a variety of colours.
- Mahonia – these evergreen shrubs produce fragrant, bright yellow flowers in winter, and often have interesting foliage as well.
- Pieris – these evergreen shrubs have attractive foliage that can range from green to red, and produce clusters of delicate flowers in shades of pink and white.
- Skimmia – these evergreen shrubs produce fragrant flowers in winter and spring, and often have attractive berries as well.
Remember, when choosing shrubs for a shady border, it’s important to consider factors such as soil type, moisture levels, and the specific amount of sunlight the area receives. Be sure to do your research and consult with our team to ensure you choose the best shrubs for your specific growing conditions.