Jobs in the Garden - April
Jobs in the Garden For April
There are plenty of tasks to keep a gardener busy in April. Here are some general jobs that can be done at this time of year:
– Planting: April is the time to sow seeds for many annual plants such as cosmos, marigolds, and zinnias. It’s also a good time to plant summer bulbs like dahlias and gladiolus
– Pruning: Early spring-flowering shrubs such as Forsythia and Lilac can be pruned after they finish blooming. It’s also a good time to prune fruit trees and roses.
– Weeding: April is a good time to start weeding the garden before the weeds become too established.
– Soil preparation: If the soil is workable, it’s a good time to prepare beds for planting by adding compost or other organic matter.
– Lawn care: April is a good time to fertilize and seed the lawn. It’s also a good time to rake up any remaining leaves and debris from the fall.
– Mulching: Adding a layer of mulch around plants can help to retain moisture and suppress weeds.
– Pest control: Keep an eye out for early signs of pest problems and take action to prevent them from spreading.
– Harvesting: If you have any overwintered vegetables, such as kale or spinach, you can harvest them in April before they go to seed.
These are just a few jobs that can be done in the garden in April. As always, the specific tasks will depend on your climate and location, as well as the needs of your particular garden.